This children’s sermon was given November 17, to accompany a sermon based on Luke 21: 5-19. The preaching minister asked me to focus on God’s constant presence with us. Just an fyi: the children’s sermon went long. I try to keep children’s sermons between 3-5 minutes, and this one was 7. If I did it again, I’d not try to cover Moses’ entire life, but just a few scenes from it.
Good morning girls and boys. I brought in my bag items that tell the story of someone who lived a long time ago. I wonder if you can guess who it is.
- He was born to Israelite enslaved mother in Egypt at a time when pharaoh wanted to kill all baby boys because there were so many. She put him in a basket in Nile. An Egyptian princess found him and raised him as her own. Was God with him then?
- He Saw an Egyptian slave master attacking slave and killed him. Was God with him then?When he ran away?
- Found a bush that wouldn’t burn up and heard God speaking to him. Was God with him then?
- God sent Moses back to Egypt to demand the release of God’s people. Was God with him then?
- Moses said “But I’m a terrible speaker! Why me?” Was God with him then?
- He went back and spoke to pharaoh! Was God with him then?
- After much trying, Pharaoh finally said yes. Was God with him then?
- Pharaoh changed his mind! But the Red sea was in the way of their escape! Was God with him then?
- There was no food or water. Was God with him then?
- Based at Mt. Sinai, went up into the mountain to get the 10 commandments Was God with him then?
- While he was down there, the people gave up and made a golden cow to worship.Was God with him then? Broke tablets and then made new ones
- Wandered 40 years trying to get to the promised land. Was God with him then?
God was with him every step of the way.
What about you? Was God with you….
- When you were born sick
- The first time you had a babysitter ?
- When you’re scared to sleep in your own room?
- When you first went to school?
- When you’ve made bad choices?
- When sad things happen?
- When you’re worried about tests?
- When you decide you want to be baptized?
- When you learn to drive- and your parents too!
Life is full of mystery. We don’t always understand why bad things happen. But what we can be sure of is that no matter what, God will be with you in good times and hard times and scary times and peaceful times, for you whole life long. God never leaves us. It’s all up to us- whether we come close to God.
Let’s pray. Dear God, thank you for the story of Moses and that you were with him his whole life long. Help us remember that you draw close to every person on this earth, including each of us. Help us draw close to you. We love you, God. Amen.